Lotus Pose, Half Lotus Pose, Easy Pose and Thunderbolt Pose are the best suited poses for pranayama as they involved locking of legs while in the pose. When the legs are locked, major organs including heart, lungs, liver, kidney, spleen and brain receive increased blood flow thereby strengthening the organs. This naturally aids in strengthening the legs and hence it is highly recommended to perform pranayama in one of the above-mentioned poses.
Benefits of Nadi Suddhi
- Cleanses and balances all the nadis, that is, energy channels, in the body
- Strengthens lungs and relieves breathing disorders
- Promotes flow of prana in the body
- Promotes balance between the right and left brain
- Supports heart health
- Strengthens nervous system
- Aids in detoxification
- Energizes the body and mind
- Relieves stress and promotes calm
- Improves focus
How to do Nadi Suddhi
- Assume Lotus Pose / Half Lotus Pose / Easy Pose / Thunderbolt Pose. Keep your spine straight.
- Assume Chin Mudrar in your left hand.
- Perform a deep exhalation.
- Place your right hand thumb on the right nostril.
- Inhale deeply through your left nostril.
- Now, close your left nostril by placing the ring finger of right hand on the nostril, release the right nostril and slowly exhale through the right.
- Now inhale through the right nostril.
- Close the right nostril and exhale through the left.
Inhaling through the left nostril and exhaling through the right nostril, and inhaling through the right nostril and exhaling through the left completes one cycle. You can perform 5, 9, 11 or 15 cycles.
The duration of inhalation and exhalation should be the same.
Inhalation and exhalation should be slow and deep and of course, comfortable. Repeated practice strengthens the channels in the body and supports healthy function of the body.
In case of difficulty in assuming the mentioned yoga poses, the practitioner can sit on a chair and perform the pose keeping the spine straight. This is recommended only to those who are unable to sit on the floor.
When Should You Not Perform Nadi Suddhi
Nadi Suddhi should not be performed when one experiences severe headache, fever and severe tiredness.