Photo by Karl Solano from Pexels
Acne, just like any other health condition, does not occur 'suddenly' as one tends to believe spotting it on an otherwise fine morning. Acne is just an outcome of how we treat our body and mind. Continue reading to learn the causes and natural remedies for acne.
What Causes Acne?
Excess oil secreted by sebaceous glands combine with dead skin cells and clog skin pores resulting in acne. Some of the reasons for excess sebum production include:
- Intake of junk foods and fatty foods
- Hormone imbalances
- Menstrual cycle
- Cosmetics high in chemical composition
Acne in family history can also be a contributing factor.
Types of Acne
The types of acne include:
- Cystic acne
- Acne conglobata
- Acne fulminans
- Gram negative folliculitis
Out of the above-mentioned acne types, nodlues and cystic acne are severe types. Acne conglobata, acne fulminans and gram negative folliculitis are more severe and uncommon types.
Natural Remedies for Acne
Given below are some of the most simple and effective natural remedies for acne.
Photo by Karl Solano from Pexels
Turmeric contains antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Hence, it is one of the best natural remedies for acne and acne scars. It also prevents acne outbreak.
- Add some honey to turmeric powder, mix well and apply on acne. Rinse after 20 minutes.
- Take a handful of neem leaves, rinse well and blend it. Add turmeric to neem paste, mix well and apply on acne. Rinse after it dries.
- Add some besan flour to turmeric powder, mix well, apply on acne. Rinse after about 20 minutes.
- Mix turmeric powder and aloe vera gel thoroughly and apply on acne. Rinse after 20 minutes.
Basil possesses antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is also an effective antiseptic.
- Take a fistful of tulsi leaves, rinse well and blend. Add som sandal powder to the paste, mix well and apply on your face. Rinse well after 15 to 20 minutes. Regular use makes acne disappear.
- Have a cup of basil tea twice a day.
Ginger stimulates collagen production and supports skin health. It also detoxifies the skin, thereby aiding in curing and preventing acne.
- Add lemon juice to ginger extract and mix well. Apply the mixture on acne. Rinse after 20 minutes.
- Add some honey to ginger extract. Mix well and apply on the face. Rinse well after 20 minutes.
- Have a cup of ginger tea daily.
4) Lemon Juice
Lemon contains antiseptic, antifungal and antibacterial properties and hence is effective in destroying acne-causing bacteria. It also controls excess sebum production.
Dip a small ball of cotton in lemon juice and apply on acne.
Add some honey to lemon juice, mix well and apply on acne. Rinse after 20 minutes.
Neem possesses anti-fungal, antiviral, antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Since neem is rich in vitamin C it supports collagen production and keeps the skin healthy and youthful.
Rinse a fistful of neem leaves, add them to half a liter of water and bring to boil. Turn off the flame, cover neem-infused water with a lid and let it cool. You can observe the change in water color. Filter and preserve the water in a bottle and apply on acne using a cotton ball.
Rinse some neem leaves and add them to water. Keep the water closed till morning. You can use this water twice a day as face wash.
Extract one tablespoon juice from neem leaves and some water and drink once a day.
Allicin in garlic destroys acne-causing bacteria. Garlic also possesses antibacterial, antiviral, antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
Make a paste out of few garlic cloves and apply on acne. Rinse after it dries.
7) Aloe Vera
The antibacterial properties of aloe vera aids in destroying and preventing acne. Since aloe vera boosts collagen production it helps to make acne scars disappear thereby supporting skin health.
Regular use of aloe vera helps to prevent acne breakouts. It is also effective in curing inflammation and swelling caused by acne.
8) Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar possesses antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
Take equal portions of apple cider vinegar and water and mix well. Dip a cotton ball in this solution, apply on acne and allow it to dry.
Essential Oils for Acne
Some of the most effective essential oils that work as natural remedies for acne include:
1) Tea Tree Essential Oil – Tea tree essential oil possesses antiseptic properties. It helps to cure acne and support skin health.
2) Lavender Essential Oil – Lavender essential oil possesses antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. This helps to cure acne and prevents fresh acne breakouts.
3) Sandalwood Essential Oil – Sandalwood essential oil possesses antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This essential oil is effective in healing acne and preventing acne breakouts.
4) Lemon Essential Oil – Lemon essential oil is a potent antioxidant. It also contains vitamin C, which helps to remove dead skin cells and promote healthy skin. This oil helps to destroy bacteria in the pores of the skin thereby preventing formation of acne.
5) Cinnamon Essential Oil – Cinnamon essential oil destroys acne-causing bacteria and supports skin health.
6) Rosemary Essential Oil – Rosemary essential oil regulates sebum production and cleanses clogs in pores thereby healing and preventing acne.
7) Carrot Seed Essential Oil – Carrot seed essential oil possesses antioxidant, antiseptic and antifungal properties, which aid in healing and preventing acne outbreaks.
8) Frankincense Essential Oil – Frankincense essential oil is effective in destroying acne-causing bacteria. It also controls excess oil production and prevent acne breakouts.
9) Cypress Essential Oil – Cypress essential oil controls sebum production. It also possesses antimicrobial and antibacterial properties which aid in healing and preventing acne.
Never use essential oils directly on skin. Always dilute it with carrier oil before using on skin.
Practicing the above-mentioned natural remedies for acne will help to keep your skin blemishless and healthy.